Oiue of the distinguished citizens of Fairfield county is the Hon. George W. Lamb, of Hooker, who has been called to aid in enacting the legislation of the state and who as a merchant has shown the possibilities of accomplisliment which lie before the young men of the nation. Everywhere in our land are found men who have worked their own way from humble beginnings to leadership in the commerce, the great productive industries, the management of financial afifairs, and in controlling the veins and arteries of the traffic and exchanges of our country. It is one of the glories of our nation that it is so. It should be the strongest incentive and encouragement to the youth of the country that it is so.


Prominent among the self-made men of Fairfield county is the subject of this sketch—a man honored and respected wherever he is known, and most of all where he is best known. He was bom in Bloom township, this county, December 24, 1845, and is a representative of a pioneer family here. His grandfather, Philip Lamb, was one of five brothers who came to this county about 1780, and he located in Bloom township, while the others settled in Pleasant township. All built log cabins, and cleared and developed farms in the midst of the forest. They were of German descent and manifested many of the sterling characteristics of the people of the fatherland. The grandfather of our subject was a native of Pennsylvania, while Peter Lamb, the father of our subject, was born at the old home farm in Bloom township, and there spent his entire life, devoting his time and energies to agricultural pursuits. He was a Democrat in his political views, never failing to vote for the men and measures of the party. His death occurred when he was in his eighty-sixth year. His wife, Mrs. Catherine (Lane) Lamb, wias a daughter of James Lane, who was of Welsh lineage and removed from the Keystone state to Fairfield county at an early epoch in its history. Mrs. Lamb was born in Amanda township, this county, and lived to the advanced age of eighty-eight years. By her marriage she became the mother of eight children, five sons and three daughters, all of whom reached .adult age, while all are yet living with the exception of one brother, William.


George W. Lamb is the fourth child and third son. He was reared on the old home farm, where he remanied until eighteen years of age, assisting in the work of plowing, planting and harvesting until the labors of the field were over, and then spending the winter months in the acquirement of an education in the district schools. He later went to the Fairfield Union Academy, where he spent two years. Subsequently he engaged in teaching school for a number of years and was elected principal of the Carroll school, filling that position for four years. On the expiration of that period he turned his attention to merchandising in Carroll, and after two years removed to Hooker, where he has since engaged in grain dealing and general merchandising, covering a period of twenty-two years. He is the oldest merchant in the town in years of continuous connection with commercial pursuits, and the years have witnessed a successful career for his enterprise, sound business judgment and diligence have brought to him prosperity.


Mr. Lamb has been twice married. He first wedded Carrie Brown, in August, 1871. She died leaving two children—Edward Wort and Odessa, the latter the wife of James Brandt, a son of Captain O. B. Brandt, of Carroll, a .sketch of whom will be found elsewhere in our work. For his second wife Mr. Lamb chose Carrie Peters, a daughter of Silas and Anna Peters. She was born in Greenfield township, Fairfield county, and is now the mother of three children: Leona, Catherine and Alberta, all of whom are at home.


In political affairs Mr. Lamb takes an active part and is an unfaltering advocate of the Democracy. Elected to the office of treasurer of Greenfield township, he was continued in that position by re-election for five consecutive terms, and in 1872-3 he was chosen to represent his district in the state legislature. In 1894 he was elected to the state senate and served so capably and with such loyal regard to the best interests of his constituents that he was reelected in 1896. He has been postmaster and has also been railroad station agent at Hooker for about six years. Fraternally he is connected with the Masonic fraternity, belonging to Napthalia Lodge, No. 262, F. & A. M., of Carroll, and to the chapter of Lancaster. He is widely known as one of the leading business men of the county, the extent and scope of his grain trade and mercantile interests indicating his marked ability, enterprise and unfaltering resolution. In citizenship he is loyal and progressive and his life record well deserves a place on the pages of the history of his native county.

 

From A Biographical Record of Fairfield County, Ohio, J. S. Clarke Publishing, New York and Chicago, 1902