One of the most highly esteemed and respected citizens of Beavercreek township is Squire Samuel G. Andrew, who is successfully engaged in general farming and stockraising. He has always resided in this county and his life record commends him to the confidence of those with whom he has been associated, for he has ever been honorable and reliable in all his relations with his fellow men. He has lived and labored to goodly ends and has gained a position of distinctive prominence in the county, wihich he has aided to develop, winning the respect which is never denied a man whose integrity and honor are beyond question.
Mr. Andrew was born in Xenia township, August 23, 1840, his parents being George and Jane (Quinn) Andrew. His father was a naitive of South Carolina, born on the 1st of March, 1791, and during his boyhood came to Greene county, where the family has since been a potent factor in public progress and improvement. He early became familiar witli the difliciilties of pioneer life and was also familiar with the arduous task of developing a new farm on the frontier. On the 29th of January. 1817, he married Miss Elizabeth Ann Foster, who was born April 13. 1798. After her death he was again married on the 22nd of December, 1839, to Mrs. Jane Quinn. who by her first marriage had one daughter, Mrs. John B. Lucas. The children of the father's first marriage were: William: Alexander; Martha, the deceased wife of James Turner: Robert: William; John: Elizabeth; Hugh: and George. The only surviving members of the second marriage are: Samuel of this review, and John Calvin, who resides in Xenia. The father of this family passed away April 22, 1863. at the age of seventy-two years, ten months and ten days. He had witnessed a large part of the growth of his adopted county and had been an active participant in its development and upbuilding. Both he and his wife were members of the First United Presbyterian church in which he served as deacon, doing everything in his power to advance the growth of the church and promote the influence of Christianity. In his business affairs he was quite successful. He started cut in life on his own account with almost nothing, taking up his abode west of the powder mills. He there cleared a large tract of land and developed a good farm, becoming the owner of three hundred and twenty acres of valuable land. In 1854 he sold this property and bought two hundred and fifty acres upon which his son. Samuel G. Andrew, now resides. The house upon the place is a brick structure wliich was erected in 1840 and was one of the finest farm residences in the entire county. The life record of George Andrew proves conclusively that success is not a matter of genius but can be gained as the legitimate reward of earnest, persistent and honorable effort. In his political views he was a Whig until the dissolution of that party, when he joined the ranks of the new Republican party.
In the district schools of his native county Samuel G. Andrew pursued his education. He attended school during the winter months, for in the summer seasons his services were needed in the work upon the home farm. He did not leave home until the spring of 1864 when he joined Company F, of the One Hundred and Fifty-fourth Ohio Infantry. He had foirmerly been a member of the National Guards of Xenia. With the regiment he went to the front and participated in the battle of New Creek, Virginia, and did guard duly throughout the remainder of his term of service, when he was honorably discharged at Camp Dennison in September. 1864.
Returning to his home the Squire resumed the work upon the farm. He was married on the 21st of August, 1866, to Miss Keziah Luse, a native of Clark county, Ohio. They had no children of their own but adopted a daughter, Carrie Romelia, who became the wife of Joseph Hutchison, a resident farmer of Beavercreek township, and their children are: Samuel Andrew, named for the subject of this review, and Louis Bell. The Squire was called upon to mourn the loss of his wife in 1889, her death occurring on the 7th of May of that year, while her remains were interred in the Xenia cemetery. Mr. Andrew was again married in 1889, his second union being with Mrs. Rachel Jones, a native of this township, who by her first marriage had a son, Daniel O., who is now living with our subject.
Mr. Andrew belongs to the United Presbvterian church, while his wife is a member of the Reformed church. He votes with the Republican party and in 1890 he was elected upon that ticket to serve for one term as justice of the peace. He has a pleasant home in Beavercreek township, having remodeled the old brick house, which was erected sixty-two vears ago. and stands in the midst of richly cultivated fields. He is successfully carrying on farming and stock-raising. He has always resided in Greene county and his life record is in many respects worthy of emulation. His career has been characterized by practical business ability and sturdy common sense, qualities which are too often lacking. His life, too, has been in harmony with his religious belief and his friends throughout the communitv are many.
From History of Greene County, Ohio, by George F. Robinson (S. J. Clarke Publishing Co, 1902)