Edward Bratton was without doubt the first white man to locate in this township (Cambridge). He was born in Mifflin County, Pennsylvania, in 1784, and in 1799 removed with his father to the new territory northwest of the Ohio river, then just opening up for settlement. It was late in the month of December when they reached Wheeling, then comprising but a few illy-built huts and houses built around the public square. Crossing the Ohio River, the Brattons made their way westward to the forks of Mc Mahon's creek, three miles below where the town of Belmont now stands. Fromt his place, in 1802 they moved to the Zane Trace, near what later became known as the Milner property. In the spring of 1803 or 1804, Joseph Wright, father of Nehemiah Wright, emigrated from Ireland and located near the Brattons. He employed Edward Braatton, then a stout, young man, nineteen years of age, to make him some rails with which to fence or pen up his stock , in order to protect them from the wolves and bears, which were then very troublesome. His work suited so well that he was hired to make more rails for fence in a patch of ground. These, young Bratton made at the rate of fifty cents a hundred and boarded himself.
In 1805 he married, and taking the trail used by General Broadhead in 1780, when that officer marched from wheeling on the Coshocton campaign against the Indians, he followed it as far as the present Antrim, then diverged and went to the present site of Winchester, where he pitched his tent. The nearest settlement was where Cambridge stands today, but were five Indian families, including two brothers named Jim and Bill (for short) and whose last name was Lyons; Joseph Sky, at the mouth of Brushy Fork; one Douty, who had a hut between Mrs. Culbertson's and Newman's Lake, and had two squaws; and one Indian named Hunter, who was squawless.
History of Guernsey County, Ohio, pub 1911