CHARLES WESLEY RUNSER, farmer, P.O. Ada, was born in Stark County, Ohio, January 9, 1843. He is a son of Andrew and Isabel (McDowell) Runser, the former a native of France, the latter of Pennsylvania. He came to Hardin County, Ohio, in October of 1850, and settled in Marion Township, in almost the newest portion of it. He went to school in an old log house that was without windows or floors, and secured what at the time was considered a fair education. He was obliged to pass through the woods for a distance of about two miles. At the age of twenty he commenced to teach. He was married at Rantoul, Ill., October 30, 1867, to Martha M. Lawrence, born June 5, 1842, a daughter of John and Mary (Calvin) Lawrence, the former of English, and the latter of German descent. The five children that resulted from this union are are follows: Clarence D., born December 30, 1868; William W., born March 4, 1870; Charles Clement, born May 30, 1872; Roscoe A., born February 13, 1875; and John Franklin, born August 28, 1879. Mr. Runser and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In politics, Mr. Runser is a Republican, and has held the offices of Township Clerk for two years, Justice of the Peace fifteen years, and was elected County Commissioner in the fall of 1882. He has lived to see the forests fade away, and the fields to blossom like the rose in their stead. Over the site where his dwelling now stands was a great place for fame-such as deer and wild turkey-to roam, and the Indian had a camping ground on the banks of a small stream running by. This seemed the favorite hunting ground, as it lies midway between the Scioto and Hog Creek Marshes, and game was very abundant. Mr. Runser owns a fine farm, which is under a high state of cultivation, and is located in the northwest quarter of Section 2, Marion Township.
History of Hardin County, Warner Beers Co., 1883