Jeremiah Carpenter, farmer, second son of Samson and Catherine (Walters) Carpenter, was born in Falls Township, Hocking County, July 27, 1825. Soon after his birth his parents removed to Good Hope Township, where he lived with them until manhood. His first work for himself was shingle-making, which he followed for a few months. He then rented a farm six years, and in 1852 purchased the farm first entered by Rickey and Davis. He also owns and runs a saw-mill by water-power. He has worked at the cooper's and wagon-maker's trades, but has been principally engaged in farming, where he resides, in Marion Township since 1852. June 26, 1847, he married Phoebe, daughter of John and Christina, (Kline) Engle. They have four children, Elizabeth, wife of Lewis McGill, of Columbus, Ohio; Daniel, of Hocking County; Sarah, wife of John Hufford, of Hocking County; and Catharine, wife of David Dupler, of Hocking County. His wife died April 13, 1854, aged twenty-seven years. She was a member of the Evangelist church. June 7, 1855, Mr. Carpenter married Mrs. Magdaline, widow of Henry Heyd and daughter of Daniel and Susan (Friesner) Swartz, of Fairfield County, Ohio. They have six children, Susan, wife of William Elick, of Hocking County; Noah, Rachel, William, Wesley and Amos, at home. Lewis died in infancy; Frakie died in his second year. . Mr. and Mrs. Carpenter are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mrs. Carpenter had two children by her first husband, both deceased, Lydia, born Sept. 23, 1851, died March 2, 1876; Daniel, born July 25,1853, died Dec. 24, 1878.
History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883