John D. Wise, a prosperous merchant of Walnut Creek, was born in Germany, May 12, 1822, son of Frederick and Betriah (Bloukenhorn) Wise, latter of whom died in Germany.  The father and six children immigrated to America in 1829, first locating in Lancaster County, Penn., and afterward moving to Lebanon County, Penn., where the father died in 1871. He was a baker by trade, which he followed after coming to America.

Our subject was educated in this country in both English and German; also learned the baker's trade, at which he worked several years. In 1844 he was united in marriage with Miss Harriet Schroeder, a native of Berks County, Penn., and in 1856 they came to Holmes County, where they purchased a farm in German Township.  There the wife and mother died in 1870.  In April, 1874, Mr. Wise and his son, A. M. Wise, purchased their present business in Walnut Creek, where they have since been engaged in a general mercantile business; also handling agricultural implements, sewing machines, etc.  Mr. Wise is a supporter of the Democratic party, and has filled various township offices.  He was appointed postmaster in 1874, serving until 1885.  He has always been a prominent member of the Lutheran Church, and for many years has been a deacon in the same. He has three children: John F., a farmer in Nebraska; Simon P., a physician in Millersburgh, and Almon Martin, in partnership with his father in business.

A. M. Wise was born in Lebanon County, Penn., December 25, 1852, and came to Holmes County when about four years of age.  He received his education at the public schools of this county, and since 1874 has been engaged in mercantile business with his father.  In 1881 he was united in marriage with Miss Emma Blanch, a native of Lebanon County, Penn., but a resident of Wooster Township, Wayne Co., Ohio, at the time of her marriage.  By this union they have three children: Nathan Henry, John Clarence and Edward Raymond.  Mr. Wise is a Democrat in politics, and has served as township trustee seven years.  He is a trustee of the Lutheran Church.

 

Holmes County History, 1889