Benjamin Franklin Wilson is a native of Holmes County, Ohio, born Mrach 26, 1839, the second of six children of Allen and Elizabeth (Jones) Wilson, natives of Pennsylvania, his father of Washington County, of English descent, and his mother of Westmoreland County, of Irish descent. They were among the pioneers of Holmes County.  The mother died in 1863, and the father in 1883, the latter being nearly eighty-four years of age.

B.F. Wilson remained with his parents until after the breaking out of the War of the Rebellion, and in 1861 enlisted in the defense of his country, being assigned to Company B, Sixteenth Ohio Infantry, and served three years and one month.  He participated in the battles at Cumberland Gap, Tazewell (Tenn.), siege of Vicksburg and New Orleans. He then went to Texas and helped to build the dam across the Red River; then went to Mississippi where he participated in numerous skirmishes and battles.  He was a brave and gallant soldier, and served his county faithfully. After his discharge he returned to his old home, and since followed the more peaceful pursuit of farming.  He is one of the prosperous farmers of Prairie Township, and has about 176 acres of valuable land, ninety-nine acres being in the homestead farm.  His homestead is well improved, and his buildings are among the best in the township, his residence being a model of taste and convenience, erected at a cost of $2,000. Mr. Wilson makes a speciality of raising Poland-China hogs, of which he has several fine specimens, although he is also engaged in general farming.  His farm is mostly devoted to the raising of the Burbank potato, large quantities of which he ships to other markets.  Mr. Wilson was married in 1867 to Amy Jones, a native of Holmes County, born in 1840. She died in 1873, leaving two children: Charles A. B. and Mary A., and in 1875 Mr. Wilson married Catherine Arnold, who was born in Wayne County, Ohio in 1840, daughter of Thomas and Catherine Arnold. In politicss Mr. Wilson adheres to the principles of the Democratic party.

 

Holmes County History, 1889