Capt. David Collier is a native of Ripley Township, Holmes Co., Ohio, born in 1849, the eldest son of H. J. and Letitia (Wells) Collier. His early life was spent with his father, and he was given good educational advantages, attending first the common schools, and later the Hayesville Academy. He began working on the railroad in his youth, became a practical engineer, and for a time was employed on the Mississippi & Tennessee Railroad. Returning to Holmes County in 1868 he engaged in buying and shipping grain, which he has since carried on successfully. He has been prominently identified with the various interests of Plimpton, and is one of the most highly respected citizens of the town. He is a member of the Plimpton Guards, of which for two and a half years he was lieutenant, and for the past two years has been captain. He has held a number of the township offices, and has ever been a faithful public servant. He is a member of the Royal Arcanum, also Master of Hanover Lodge, No. 115, F. & A. M., Loudonville, Ohio; in politics he is a Democrat. Mr. Collier was married in 1874 to Sophia Tope, of Knox Township, Holmes County, and they have had eight children, five of whom are living: Clyde, Wayne, Calvert, Vernon and Charles. Mr. and Mrs. Collier are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.
Biographical Record of Holmes County, 1889