Andrew Baldner was born in Holmes County, Ohio in 1837, a son of Andrew and Barbara (Snively) Baldner, former of whom was a native of Germany, and a soldier under Napoleon seven years. He came to America in 1830, locating in New York state, where he remained four years. In 1834 he came to Holmes County, Ohio and preempted forty acres of land to which he afterward added eight acres, and still later took up fifty-one acres in Ashland County. He was a blacksmith by trade, at which he worked in connection with agricultural pursuits, and became one of the well-to-do citizens of the county. He died in 1853 aged seventy years; his wife died at the age of seventy-one years. They had a family of twelve children,, eight of whom are living: Sallie, George, Andrew, Frederick, Barbara, Henry, Kate and Christian.
Andrew Baldner, the subject of our notice, has made farming his life-work, and now owns 171 acres of valuable land, all well improved. He takes an active interest in public affairs, and has served as school director nine years. In politics he is a Democrat, and adhering to the faith of his father, is a member of the Evangelical Church. He was married in May, 1866, to Sarah, daughter of George and Margaret Breitenbucher, and they have had ten children, eight of whom are living: Matilda Caroline (Mrs. Frank), Ella, Emma, Maria, Frank, Clara, Laura, Eva.
Holmes County History, 1889