Among the business citizens of Marion whose connection with live, growing enterprises has given them deservedly high positions in their communities, Lewis P. Cubberley is worthy of more than a passing mention in a work of this nature. A native son of this prosperous city, he has traveled extensively in various parts of the country during his carrer, and although he has been engaged in business in Marion since 1901, is still a representative of outside concerns, in the interests of which he makes a trip through the West twice a year. Mr. Cubberley was born in Marion, Indiana, February 3, 1852, and is a son of Dr. David P. and Charlotte M. (Frazier) Cubberley.
David P. Cubberley was born in Licking county, Ohio and came to Grant county during the early forties, here becoming the first dental practitioner in the city of Marion, where he was engaged in an extensive and representative practice up to his death in 1884, when he was the oldest dentist in Grant county. During the Civil War he enlisted for service in the Union army as captain of a company in the Twelfth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and spent three years on southern battlefields. For years he was connected with the Masonic fraternity, and for a long period was secretary of his Blue Lodge at Marion. Dr. Cubberley married Charlotte M. Frazier, daughter of Nathan W. Frazier, a pioneer and influential citizen of Grant county, and she survived him until 1888, having been the mother of four children: Lewis P.; Nathan S., who is deceased; and Mrs. Emma C. Hutchinson and Mrs. Belle C. Tukey, both of whom reside in Marion.
Lewis P. Cubberley received his early education in the public schools of Marion. When eighteen years of age he entered the railroad mail service, in which he continued to be employed until 1880, and during this time operated between Toledo and St. Louis, on the Toledo, St. Louis & Western Railroad, and the Wabash and Pennsylvania fast mails. On leaving the mail service, Mr. Cubberley accepted a position with Huestes & Hamilton, wholesale grocers of Fort Wayne, Indiana, and remained with this concern until 1888, when he entered the employ of the Wilson & McCally Tobacco Company, of Middletown, Ohio, continuing with that firm ten years and then accepting a position as traveling representative of the H.W. Spurr Coffee Company, of Boston and Kansas City, a company with which he has since been identified. In 1900 he returned to Marion and established himself in a wholesale and retail cigar business, a venture which has proved a decided success and has enjoyed a healthy and continued growth. The various brands handled by Mr. Cubberley have attained a high degree of popularity and now meet with a steady demand in every place in this section of the State where cigars are sold. From modest beginnings, Mr. Cubberley has built up a flourishing enterprise, and his success may be accredited solely to his own efforts, his strict attention to business and the honorable manner in which he has carried on his transactions.
On September 6, 1905, Mr. Cubberley was untied in marriage with Miss Nellie Cook of toledo,Ohio, daughter of of J.D. and Eliza (McClure) Cook, pioneer residents of Grant county. Mr. Cook, a contractor in construction work, was widely known in his field of endeavor, being the builder of the Grand Rapids & Indiana Railroad, and attained distinction as the constructor of the only large work in the city of Galveston, Texas, which withstood the ravages of the devastating flood of 1900. Mr. and Mrs. Cubberley have had no children. He is a Republican in his political views, but has taken only a good citizens's interest in public affairs. Like his father, he has become prominent in fraternal circles, being a thirty-second degree Mason and a member of the Elks, in both of which orders he has numerous friends.
Centennial History of Grant County Indiana 1812-1912, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1914