This site displays ads to assist in offsetting our expenses in bringing you this information. If you have an ad blocker, we would appreciate it if you would disable it while visiting us.

John S. Graham has been a figure in Licking County, in the Granville community, for many years, grew up there, had been a farmer and stockman, banker, member of the Legislature and is the present mayor of Granville. He was born in Center County, Pennsylvania, January 16, 1864, son of John S. and Hannah (Hayes) Graham, both natives of Center County, Pennsylvania, January 16, 1864, son of John S. and Hannah (Hayes) Graham both natives of Center County, Pennsylvania, while the grandparents Graham came from Scotland. The parents of Hannah Hayes were born in Pennsylvania. John S. Graham, of Granville, was a baby when his parents came to Ohio and settled on a farm in Licking County. He attended public schools there, and as a young man engaged in farming and stock raising, and still has large interests in those lands. From the farm his activity extended to commercial affairs in town, and in 1903 he was one of the founders of the Granville Bank, becoming one of its first directors and for the past twelve years has been its president. Mr. Graham is now serving his second term as mayor of Granville. For about a year he has given considerable time to his duties as manager of the Granville Co-operative Company, doing a general warehouse business, buying and selling farm supplies and builders supplies.

Mr. Graham was elected and represented Licking County in the Eighty-first and Eighy-third General Assemblies of Ohio. He was a member of the Board of Education of McKane Township ten years, was for six years one of the county commissioners, and during the World war, having a son at the front, he was spurred to unremitting efforts in behalf of the success of all patriotic causes and campaigns, being a member of the Licking County War Work Committee. He is a member of Grange, is a republican, is president of the Board of Trustees of the Methodist Church, and was elected a delegate to the World's Conference of Methodists. Mr. Graham has also some financial interests in oil and gas wells.

He married at Springfield, Ohio, October 4, 1888, Miss Minnie K. Deardorff, daughter of General John and Elizabeth (Pettigrew) Deardorff, of Springfield. Her father was a solider of distinction in the Union Army during the Civil War. Mrs. Graham is a member of the Daughters of Veterans, has been very active in literary and musical clubs and church affairs at Granville, and is president of the Home Missionary Society of the Methodist Church.

Mr. and Mrs. Graham have two sons, Paul B. and Hayes D. Graham. The son Paul was educated in Denison University and in Ohio Wesleyan University, and is now established in a successful contracting business at Grand Rapids, Michigan. He married Myrtle Lovell, of Newark, Ohio. Hayes D. Graham attended Denison University and Ohio Wesleyan University, and married Oleta Spellman, member of one of the early and prominent families of Licking County. Hayes D. Graham is now engaged in farming on a place adjoining Granville.

Hayes D. Graham in May, 1917, enlisted for service in the World war, being trained at Camp Perry, then at Mineola and went to France in October, 1917, with a regiment of infantry commanded by Colonel Hough in the Forty-second or Rainbow Division. In the spring of 1918 he was commissioned a second lieutenant, was put with the Twenty-ninth Division, and while on the field of battle was made first lieutenant. He served as liaison officer of his regiment, and was on active duty in several sectors, being once slightly gassed. In the great battle of the Argonne he was on duty thirty-five days without once taking off his clothes, and in the last fight of that engagement he was with an outfit of 228 men who went into action and only sixty-eight of whom came out alive. He is an active member of the American Legion.

 

History of Ohio, by Charles Galbreath, The American Historical Society, Inc. 1925 - Volume 5

 

 

Writers have bestowed high praise on the body of men chosen to frame our second constitution. perhaps at this late day it would be vain and unpatriotic to question this judgment, and something on the character and personality of the delegates of all our conventions is reserved for future presentation. It is safe to say, however, that the electors of the different districts did not, without exception, send to this convention their men best equipped for framing the constitution. In the county of Franklin, including then as it does at present, the capital city of the state, Samuel Medary, the chief advocate of the convention, a man of experience in public affairs, and especially well informed on all questions likely to arise before that body, was defeated by his whig opponent, John Graham, a local surveyor and former sheriff, who evidently knew little about the constitution and was not stimulated to interest in it by contact with his fellow delegates. He never addressed the convention on any subject. As we learn from the ample "Debates and Proceedings," he seems to have risen to his feet before that body but four times; once to send to the clerk's desk a proposition from a Columbus citizen to rent a hall to the convention, once to offer a petition signed by a few women of Franklin county, opposing the legalization of the liquor traffic, and twice to offer resolutions evidently prepared by others. His opinions on questions up for consideration are found only in the aye and nay votes recorded in the proceedings. Medary, outside of the convention, had more to do than Graham in the convention in shaping the constitution Hon. Henry Stanberry, of Columbus, who represented a district made up of Delaware County and a portion of Franklin, however, gave the capital city fitting eminence in the convention.

 

History of Ohio - Volume 2