Thomas Ewing, farmer and proprietor of saw-mill, Sec. 21; P. O. Hartford; settled in the county in the spring of 1847; he is the son of Alexander and Elizabeth (Fenstamaker) Ewing; was born in Trumbull Co., Ohio (now Mahoning Co.), April 22, 1827; in the spring of 1847, he came to Wisconsin in company with Mr. William Shannon (now a resident of Ohio), and made his home in Town 10 north, Range 18 east (now Hartford).  For about ten years after coming to this place, he worked at his trade; then, in company with Mr. O. C. Bissell, he purchased the saw-mill situated on the Rubicon, Sec. 21, of Joel F. Wilson, E. R. Nelson and George C. Rossman; the new proprietors rebuilt and improved the mill in 1858, and, in 1862, Mr. Ewing bought out Mr. Bissell and has since continued the business alone.  The mill is what is known as circular saw-mill, is run by water-power, and, when in good repair, cuts 6,000 feet of hardwood lumber running ten hours; he next bought a farm, situated on Secs. 21 and 22; has at this writing 135 acres.  He was married, at Milwaukee, in the fall of 1868, to Miss Eunice Towle, daughter of Simon Towle; they have one son-A. C. Ewing.  Mr. Ewing's nephew, Mr. Charles U. Boley, has been brought up by him, having been an inmate of the family about fifteen years. Mr. Ewing is one of the genial, whole-souled pioneers of the West, the representative of a type that is now only occasionally met with in this section of the country.

 

History of Washington and Ozaukee Counties, Wisconsin, published in 1881 by Western Historical Company