Daniel Hain, deceased, was a native of Pennsylvania. He, with his wife-whose maiden name was Elizabeth Young, also a native of Pennsylvania and their family of ten children -Elizabeth, Henry, Adam, Ann, Daniel, Catharine, Esther, Mary Magdalene, Christian and Susan-came to Ohio in 1830, locating five miles south of Marion, within a few rods of where the Locust Grove Church now stands. One and a half miles west of that point., he entered eighty acres of land. Here he built, a log house, and two years after their arrival the family moved into it. Previous to this, they had lived in a rented cabin near the church. This cabin was small, affording not much room for furniture. Among the effects brought with them was it large wooden chest, which doubled its uses, acting also in the capacity of a table as long as they lived in the cabin. During this time, their daughter Ann was married to Daniel Wyatt, and the wedding dinner was eaten from off this table; and as one said who was present, the party was as merry as though sitting around the choicest mahogany. Daniel Hain's farm was located on the east half of the northwest quarter of Section 15, Township 6, Range 15. He improved forty acres of this land, and when fairly prepared to raise crops for the support of his large family, he was taken sick, and died in August 1837. He left a family of twelve children, one being born three weeks after his death. His children born in this county were Leah, Lydia and William. His widow died at the house of her daughter Esther, a short distance from the old homestead, July 6, 1878, aged eighty-four years ten months and seventeen days. These pioneers were buried in the graveyard on the farm now owned by J. W. Myers, in Pleasant Township. Daniel Hain was a tailor, but in Ohio always followed farming; he was also a weaver. He and wife were much respected, and were members of the Reformed Church.
The History of Marion County, Ohio, Leggett, Conaway & Co., 1883