William R. Duvall, editor and proprietor of the Union-Herald of Circleville, was born in Shadeville, Franklin County, Ohio, on the 16th of July, 1859, and is a son of Thomas B. and Chloe (Chester) Duvall. His maternal grandfather, Miles Chester, was a farmer and a prominent citizen of Franklin County. The family is of French descent. The paternal grandfather was born in Berks County, Pa., and when a young man emigrated to Ohio, in 1804, locating near South Bloomfield. He was a successful farmer and spent his last days near Shadeville. Thomas Duvall was born in South Bloomfield, and in his early life drove cattle to market in Baltimore and New York for same ten seasons. He even went to Illinois for parties, driving their cattle from Monticello to the East. He afterwards turned his attention to general farming in Harrison Township, and bought land, which he operated from 1859 until March, 1875, when he removed to a farm, which he purchased near Wapakoneta, Auglaize County, Ohio. He there engaged in agricultural pursuits until his death in 1885. His wife was a native of Licking County, Ohio, and prior to her marriage engaged in school teaching. She yet survives her husband and is living on the old home farm.


Our subject is the eldest of four children, three of whom are yet living. He spent his boyhood days in Harrison Tovvnship until fifteen years of age, when he accompanied his parents on their removal to Auglaize County. He attended the common schools until seventeen years of age and then began teaching, which profession he followed for five years. During his vacations he attended college in Danville, Ind., and at the age of twenty-two became connected with journalistic work. He spent one year in the office of the Wapakoneta Bee, and was then with the Auglaize County Democrat as its foreman, from May, 1883, until August, 1887, when he bought a one-third interest in the Auglaize Republican. He afterwards ovvned a half interest in that office, with which he was connected until January 1, 1890, when he came to Circleville, and with Harry E. Lutz, Postmaster of Circleville, became proprietor of the Union-Herald. On the 1st of September following he bought out his partner and is now sole proprietor.


The Union-Herald was established in August, 1817, and is the oldest paper in the county. It was originally published under the name of the Olive
Branch by James Foster. It is a weekly, seven-column quarto, a bright, newsy sheet, which supports the Republican party. With it is connected a good job office, which is run by steam power and does one-half of the job work of the county. Mr. Duvall is an easy and fluent writer, has won success in journalistic work and well deserves a liberal patronage.


On the 29th of April, 1890, in Wapakoneta, Mr. Duvall married Miss Minnie Torrance, who was born amid the Adirondack Mountains in Essex County, N. Y., and was reared in Auglaize County, Ohio. Her father, Prof. William F. Torrance, was for a number of years Superintendent of Schools in that county, then held the office of County Auditor seven years, retiring in 1891. Mr. and Mrs. Duvall have a little daughter, Marguerite. They are well known and prominent people of this community who rank high in social circles. Mr. Duvall is a member of the Knights of Pythias, the Methodist Church, and is Secretary of the County Republican Executive Committee. He is a pleasant, courteous gentleman and all who know him esteem him highly.

 

From PORTRAIT & BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD OF FAYETTE, PICKAWAY AND MADISON COUNTIES, OHIO - Chapman Bros. [Chicago, 1892]