Fred L. Allen, druggist, Kent. This gentleman, who is proprietor of a well-conducted establishment for the sale of medicines and the compounding of prescriptions, has been engaged in this special branch in Kent since 1872, and has won the confidence and esteem of the citizens by his uniform courtesy and strict attention to their wants. He has a carefully selected stock of pure and fresh drugs and proprietary medicines of standard reputation, and an excellent assortment of toilet perquisites and perfumery, besides carrying a large stock of paints, oils, dye-stuffs, etc. His attractive store is situated in the Carver Block, in the business center of the town, and has a depth of sixty-five feet with a width of twenty-four. The compounding of physicians' prescriptions and family recipes is a feature in which Mr. Allen takes special aim to excel, and the stock is bought only from reliable houses. Mr. Allen was born in Akron, Ohio, July 10, 1848, a son of Asa S. and Electa (Arms) Allen. His father is a native of Martha's Vineyard, Mass., and is now a practicing physician in Berea, Ohio. Our subject was educated in the Berea schools. During the late war of the Rebellion he served two years in the One Hundred and Twenty-fifth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, receiving an honorable discharge at the expiration of service. In 1866 he located in Kent, Ohio, and served an apprenticeship of three years in the drug business, when he became a partner in the business with Dr. J. W. Shively, with whom he was connected for two years. He then embarked in the trade for himself and has been very successful. He is a member of the G. A. R. and is a F. & A. M.

 

History of Portage County, Ohio, Warner, Beers & Co., Chicago, 1885