The Alexanders are from Scotland. They were Protestants, and were driven to Ireland,where they remained until 1736, when John Alexander came to America, and settled in Chester County, Pa. Others of the same family soon followed. From here they soon scattered to Western Pennsylvania, Virginia, and North Carolina. It is claimed of them that they became the basis of the Presbyterian Church in America. A whole volume could be written of this noted family. but space will not permit. We will trace a brief genealogy of the direct ancestors of the Shelby County Alexanders.

James, a son of John Alexander, was born in Ireland in 1726. Came with his father to Chester County, Pa., in 1736. From there they removed to Cumberland County, where he married Rosey Reed. In 1755 he removed to Mifflin County, and located on the Kishacoquillas. Here he erected his cabin in the dense forest, near one of the Logan Springs. His nearest neighbor was Logan, the chief of the Mingo tribe. Here was his habitation and home, and where he lived long on friendly terms with his neighbor Alexander. His wigwam was long preserved by Alexander after Logan had left the valley. The tourist who would visit the celebrated Logan Spring will find it at the head of Spring Run, where some of the Alexanders still live. This mountainous country was infested with rattlesnakes. Mr. Alexander had taken with him to his new home an Irishnian. One day be sent his son, together with this son of the Emerald Isle, to a meadow to cut some grass. While mowing, the Irishman uncovered a blowing viper. His snakeship, enraged at the intrusion, spread his neck, and hissed loud as a goose. Terrified at the sound and sight, the Irishman leaped back. With scythe raised aloft, he exclaimed, "Bab! babl here is the devil all coiled up like a screw! Be dad if he stirs, I‘ll sind his head off him." James Alexander died here at the age of sixty-six years, leaving a very large posterity.

John, the second son of James, was born in Mifflin County, Pa., in 1769. In 1791 he married Ann Taylor. After marriage be located on part of his father’s land, near the celebrated Logan Springs, and built his house near where stood the wigwam of Logan. The great oak, on which Logan cut the effigy of an Indian with tomahawk in hand, stood near the barn of John Alexander. This tree and wigwain were long pre served until the tree died, when it was cut down. This homestead of John Alexander, now occupied by his nephew, is still regarded with great interest for its important historical associations. At this place was the first meeting of Logan with Judge William Brown, recorded in the Historical Collections of Pennsylvania. John Alexander raised a family of six sons and four daughters. He died in 1820.

James T., a son of John (last spoken of), was born in Milfiin County, Pa., in 1807. In 1832 he married Mary Sterrett, who was born in Juniata County, Pa., in 1814. In 1837 they emigrated to Shelby County, Ohio, and located in this township on land entered by one of the McClures. They had four children, but only one lived to grow up. Mr. Alexander and two of his children died in 1839, one having died in 1837. After the death of her husband in 1839, Mrs. Alexander returned to Pennsylvania with her only son, John J., and remained there until 1854, when she and her son returned to Shelby County to their former home. John J., after the return of himself and mother, commenced the improvement of the farm, and has since erected upon it good substantial buildings, and has added to the farm until he has now 325 acres of well improved land. Mr. A. was born in 1833. He remained single until 1874, when he married Mary A. Lenox. the widow of Abraham Lenox. She was a daughter of Michael and Mary Weymer. Mrs. Alexander was born in Shelby County in 1839. Mr. A. is one of the prosperous farmers of his township, and has ever had the esteem of his neighbors. He has filled the more important offices of his township.

 

 

History of Shelby County, Ohio; R. Sutton & Co, Philadelphia PA, 1883