George Edward Lauby, doctor of chiropractic and founder and president of the Akron College of Chiropractic, has been more or less continuously identified with educational work since early manhood. He is a native of Summit County, and his residence is at his native town of Greensburg, where he was born on a farm September 9, 1882.
His father, Levi Lauby, also a native of Summit County, combined his trade of stonemason with farming. He died in 1917, at the age of sixty-five. His wife was Alice York, and she is now Mrs. L.M. Kauffman, of Clinton, Ohio.
George Edward Lauby was reared on a farm, attended country schools, made farming his principal work until 1907, and he still keeps in touch with that vocation, specializing in the breeding of fine poultry. As a teacher he taught in the schools of Stark, Portage and Summit counties, at Suffield, Mogadore, Uniontown, Greentown, Greensburg and North Canton, most of the time being supervisor of music in these schools. He was graduated in 1916 from the Palmer School of Chiropractic at Davenport, Iowa, and then for several years engaged in a successful practice at Akron. In 1922 he established and became president of the Akron college of Chiropractic.
Doctor Lauby in 1920 was elected on the republican ticket as a member of the Ohio State Legislature and has the distinction of being the first chiropractor to sit in that body. He is affiliated with Akron Lodge of Masons; Washington Chapter, No. 25, Royal Arch Masons; Akron Council No. 80, Royal and Select Masters; Yusef Khan Grotto, and is also a past grand of Hadassah Lodge, No. 450, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, at Greentown.
Doctor Lauby's first wife was Miss Rosa Carmany, who died leaving two sons, Ralph and Paul. Subsequently he married Myrtle Kauffman. Doctor and Mrs. Lauby have three daughters, Ruth, Grace and Fae.
History of Ohio, The American Historical Society, Inc., 1925, Volume IV