Edward M. Milligan, the city engineer of Niles, Trumbull County, has had varied and important experience in the work of his profession as a civil engineer, and has held in this connection many positions of exceptional trust and responsibility.
Edward Marshall Milligan was born at Hudson, Summit County, Ohio, December 6, 1866, and is a son of Levi and Sarah (Busler) Milligan, the former of whom was born at Rutland, Vermont, in 1846, and the latter of whom was born in Pennsylvania, their marriage having been solemnized at Bedford, Ohio. The death of the father occurred in 1913, in the City of Cleveland, where the widowed mother still maintains her home.
Levi Milligan passed the period of his boyhood and youth in the State of New York and in Canada, and he early learned the trade of tanner. After his marriage he continued his residence for a time at Bedford, Ohio, and he finally removed with his family to Kirksville, Missouri, in 1870. There he owned and operated a tannery, and within a comparatively short time he sold the plant and business and removed to the City of Chicago, where he erected and equipped a tannery. This establishment was destroyed in the historic Chicago fire of 1871, before it had been placed in operation, and as Mr. Milligan had no insurance on the plant he was financially ruined. He returned to Ohio and here reengaged in the work of his trade. In 1876 he established his permanent residence in Cleveland, and there he passed the remainder of his life. His sterling integrity in all of the relations of life commended him to the confidence and esteem of his fellow men. Of the children Edward M., of this sketch, is the eldest; Bertha A. is the wife of Warren Brainard, of Cleveland; Alice L. is the wife of George Nuss, and they likewise reside in Cleveland; Harry W. served in the United States Army in the World war period and was still in the service at the time of his death, in 1919; Mae died in childhood, and Warren is employed in the City of Cleveland.
The public schools of Cleveland afforded Edward M. Milligan his early education, but at the age of fourteen years he left school and found employment in a printing establishment. He was thus engaged in a printing establishment. He was thus engaged about one year, and then entered upon an apprenticeship in an electrotype and stereotype foundry in Cleveland. he became a skilled workman and gained the grade of journeyman electrotyper and stereotyper when he was eighteen years of age. He did not follow his trade long thereafter, but became associated with civil-engineering work, in the capacity of rodman and general helper. While thus gaining practical experience he fortified himself technically by careful study of civil engineering, and in due course he became a competent surveyor and engineer. In 1890 he was assigned charge of wharf and dry-dock construction work in Cleveland, and after having been thus engaged two years he was associated with engineering service in connection with railroad work and city improvements in Cleveland until 1919. He then became assistant division engineer of the Erie Railroad, with headquarters at Youngstown, Ohio. In 1902 he became city engineer of Warren, judicial center of Trumbull County, where he thus continued his service until 1909, returning then to Youngstown and assuming charge of the good-roads district of Mahoning County. In 1910 he had supervision of both survey and construction work in the building of the Milton reservoir to supply water to the City of Youngstown, and with this important branch of municipal service he there continued his association until 1918. During that year he was in charge of grade-crossing construction in Youngstown, and in 1919 he was chosen principal assistant engineer of that important industrial city. He retained this position until 1921, since which year he has continued his efficient service as city engineer of Niles, where he has had charge of much important improvement work in the intervening period.
Mr. Milligan is a loyal advocate and supporter of the principles of the republican party, and at Youngstown he still retains his affiliation with Robert E. Johnson Lodge No. 614, Knights of Pythias. he owns his home property at Niles, on Russell Avenue. In the City of Cleveland, in November, 1891, Mr. Milligan wedded Miss Alice M. Krause, daughter of the late Frank L. and Alice V. (Burlingame) Krause, both of whom died in that city, Mr. Krause having been a civil engineer by vocation. Mr. and Mrs. Milligan have no children.
History of Ohio, The American Historical Society, Inc., 1925, Volume IV