Sutphen Straly, of the firm of Straly Brothers, was born in Trumbull County, Ohio, March 13, 1847, a son of George Straly. The Straly family came to Jay County in 1854, locating in Wayne Township. Sutphen was reared a farmer and educated in the district schools of Jay County. At the age of nineteen years he commenced to work at blacksmithing, and followed that trade at Antyville eight years. He then engaged in a saw-mill in company with J.N. Milligan. That partnership existed three years, when Mr. Milligan sold his interest to Samuel Straly, and the partnership of Straly Brothers existed ten years. The mill was moved to its present location on section 31, at old Antyville, four miles north of Portland, in 1884, and is one of the leading saw-mills in Jay County. The engine is thirty-five horse-power, with a capacity of 5,000 feet per day and 500,000 feet per annum. Sutphen bough out his brother Samuel's interest in the mill August 20, 1887. He deals extensively in hard-wood lumber. The firm owns 116 acres of good farming land, where they reside, and forty acres in Wayne Township. It is one of best improved farms in the township. Each has a good modern residence, a large barn, 40 x 67 feet, and other good farm buildings. Mr. Straly was married May 7, 1870 to Mis Mary Jane Weaver, daughter of John J. Weaver, a former resident of Bear Creek Township. Mr. and Mrs. Straly have four children - Theron G., John E., Jesse L. and Chauncey A. Mr. Straly commenced in life without means, but his industry and business faculty have enabled him to acquire a good property.

 

Biographical and Historical Record of Jay and Blackford Counties, Indiana; The Lewis Publishing Company, 1887