Oliver J. Demuth, mayor of New Philadelphia, has been prominently identified with the agricultural, political and civic affairs of Tuscarawas County throughout the period of his manhood.
A lifelong resident of the county, he was born April 1, 1860, son of Daniel and Mary M. (Roth) Demuth. His parents were born in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, and soon after their marriage came to Tuscarawas County and settled on a farm. Daniel Demuth died in 1864, and his wife survived to the age of seventy-nine. Of their large family of seven sons and five daughters two died in infancy.
Oliver J. Demuth was four years of age when his father died. He grew up on a farm, acquired a public school education, and in young manhood engaged in farming. After seven years as a general farmer he specialized in truck growing, and for a number of years was one of the leading truck growers in the vicinity of New Philadelphia. Eight years ago he retired, selling a half interest in his business to his youngest son, and since then has lived in the City of New Philadelphia.
Mr. Demuth has a wide acquaintance over the State of Ohio, due to his long prominence in the work of the Grange and various farm organization movements. For the past fourteen years he has been treasurer of the Ohio State Grange. In politics he is a republican, and from 1905 to 1909 served as county commissioner. In the Eighty-third and Eighty-fourth General assemblies he served with credit in the Ohio State Senate. Mr. Demuth was elected mayor of New Philadelphia in the fall of 1923, his two-year term beginning January 1, 1924. During 1916-17-18 he did Farm Institute work as a member of the force working under the auspices of the Ohio State University. He is a member of the Rotary Club and Chamber of Commerce.
In 1880 Mr. Demuth married Miss Caroline Schmitz, who died in August, 1912. The four children of this union are Florence, William F., Cora E. and George S. Mr. Demuth in November, 1916, married Belle M. Wills. He was for many years identified with the Moravian Church, but in the absence of such a church at New Philadelphia he has with his wife worshiped at the Methodist Episcopal Church.
History of Ohio, The American Historical Society, Inc., 1925, Volume III