A physician and surgeon, pathologist and director of a private clinical laboratory at Dover, Dr. Max Shaweker comes of a family of physicians, being a son of Dr. Samuel Shaweker, one of the senior members of the medical profession of Tuscarawas County, whose career is given in the preceding sketch. Dr. Max Shaweker was a lieutenant in the Naval Medical Corps during the World war, making a brilliant record.
He was born at Baltic, Tuscarawas County, September 6, 1889, was educated in the public schools at Shanesville and Dover, and graduated in pharmacy from Ohio Northern University at Ada in 1910. In the fall of the same year he entered the Medical School of Northwestern University at Chicago, and was awarded his Doctor of Medicine degree in 1914. For about three years Doctor Shaweker was in Cincinnati, and was successively in turn house surgeon and receiving physician in the general hospital of that city.
During 1917 he engaged in private practice for a few months at Dover, until he entered service with the United States Navy. He was commissioned a lieutenant, junior grade, in the Naval Medical Corps, and subsequently was promoted to the rank of lieutenant in the Regular Navy. For nineteen months he served as pathologist in the naval hospital at Brooklyn, and was then on duty on the United States steamship Connecticut and later on the hospital ship Mercy. He was discharged as a reserve in the Untied States Naval Reserve Corps, Class 1, January 16, 1920.
Soon afterward he resumed private practice at Dover. In connection with his work as a physician and surgeon he conducts the laboratory for clinical service, and has made it an indispensable adjunct to the medical fraternity of his city and the entire county. He is connected with Union Hospital, is secretary of the County Medical Society, and a member of the Ohio State and American medical associations.
Doctor Shaweker is a thirty-second degree Scottish Rite Mason and Shriner, a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and the Knights of Pythias, belongs to the Sigma Chi literary fraternity and the Alpha Kappa Kappa medical fraternity. He is a member of the Moravian Church.
Doctor Shaweker married in 1920 Miss Mary Kathryn Keplinger, of New Philadelphia. They have one daughter, Mary Jane.
History of Ohio; The American Historical Society, Inc., 1925; Volume V