Leonard W. Johnson, of Washington Township, was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, August 5, 1836, and came to Adams county with his parents, James and Eliza Johnson, in 1837. He was reared and educated in this county, and endured all the hardships and privations incident to pioneer life. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company H, Eighty-ninth Indiana Infantry, which was attached to the Sixteenth Army Corps in the army of the West. He participated in the battles of Fort Derusa, Yellow Bayou, Bayou de Glaze, Bunker Hill, Tupelo, Lafayette, Nashville, Fort Blakely and others of minor importance. He was honorably discharged in the fall of 1865 and returned to Adams County, where he has since been a resident. He was married October 23, 1866, to Miss Priscilla Wisner, a native of this county, born September 23, 1846, and daughter of David and Lydia Wisner, who were among the first settlers of Adams County. Mr. and Mrs. Johnson have had seven children, five of whom are living -James M., Martha J., Lena L., Florence A. and Verna M. Mr. Johnson owns a good farm of seventy acres, and is a successful farmer. Politically he is a Democrat, and religiously a member of the Christian Union church. His mother is living, and is in her eighty-eighth year. Mrs. Johnson's father, David Wisner, was twice married. His first wife, Mary Brooks, at her death left four children, two sons and two daughters. In 1838 he left his native State, Pennsylvania, and came to Indiana, and in 1839 married Lydia Allen, a native of Ohio. To them were born six children, four sons and two daughters. The father died in 1868, aged seventy-three years. When he came to Adams County he bought eighty acres of land two and a half miles south of Decatur. The nearest mill at that time was at Fort Wayne, and the mother was often obliged to grind buckwheat in the coffee-mill with which to make bread for the family.
Biographical and Historical Records of Adams County, Indiana; The Lewis Publishing Company, 1887