Joseph T. Johnson, an old settler of Adams County, was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, August 7, 1834, a son of James and Eliza Johnson, the former a native of Pennsylvania and now deceased, and the latter a native of Montgomery County, Maryland. The parents came to Adams County in 1837, settling on section 19, Washington Township, where the father entered 160 acres of land, having paid the Government $1 per acre. He first built his log cabin, then commenced to clear his land. His first crop was five acres of corn, and the next year he raised some wheat. Later he removed to section 14, Washington Township, which is the farm now occupied by his son J.T. Johnson. He endured many trials and hardships, and for many years was obliged to go to Fort Wayne to do his marketing. He also had to go to that point for his bread stuffs. With mature years came prosperity, and he became widely known and universally respected. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and one of the founders of that church in this county. Before a church building was erected his home was frequently used for services. He always took great pains to accommodate the itinerant minister. His demise occurred in October, 1853. The parents had five children, of whom two are living -Joseph T. and Leonard W. Our subject was reared to manhood in this county, and assisted his father in clearing the farm. He was married May 18, 1858, to Miss Minerva Reynolds, born August 15, 1840, in this county, daughter of John and Rachel Reynolds, the former now deceased. Her parents were among the first settlers of this county, locating on section 26, Root Township, in September, 1827. Mr. and Mrs. Johnson have had ten children -Willis M., Rachel E., Florence A., Eliza J., Edwin J., Sarah E., Charles W., Rosa A., Edna E. and Cora M. Mr. Johnson owns a good farm of 100 acres in a good state of cultivation. In politics he is a Democrat.
Biographical and Historical Record of Adams County, Indiana; The Lewis Publishing Company, 1887