James M. Archbold, engaged in farming on section 6, St. Mary's Township, was born in Jefferson Township, Tuscarawas County, Ohio, December 27, 1841. He remained with his parents in his native county until 1851, when he came with them to Indiana, the family first locating in Jefferson Township, Wells County. The father then bought 205 acres in Preble Township, Adams county, the surrounding country at that time being in a wild state. The father built a hewed-log house on his land in Preble Township, in which he lived two years, then built a frame house, which he occupied until 1874, when he moved to Decatur, where he died, and in which his son is still living. James M. Archbold, our subject, was reared on his father's farm in Preble Township. He received his early education in the district schools, which he completed at the normal school at Middletown, Indiana, where he spent one term. After completing his education he taught school for two winter terms. He was a soldier in the late war, enlisting October 3, 1864, in Company D, Fifty-first Indiana Infantry, and served in the First Brigade, Third Division and Fourth Army Corps, under General Stanley. He joined his regiment and company at Bridgeport, Alabama, and was first engaged at Duck River, and also took part in the engagements at Franklin and Nashville. He was taken sick with bilious intermittent fever, and was sent to hospital, June 19, 1865, and after his discharge from the hospital he returned home. November 9, 1865, he was united in marriage to Miss Mary C. Summers, who was born in Preble Townhip, Allen County, Indiana, April 1, 1849, where she was reared. She is a daughter of Abraham and Mary A. (Shenks) Summers, her father being a native of Virginia, born near Fredericksburg, May 22, 1813, and the mother born in 1813, also a native of Virginia. They were reared and married in Virginia, and to them were born nine children, five still living, Mrs. Archbold having been the seventh child. They came to Adams County and settled in Preble Township in 1837, where they were among the early settlers. They are now living in Jefferson Township, Wells County, at the age of seventy-four years. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Archbold, of whom only two are living -Mary E., born July 21, 1873, and Ada E., born April 19, 1880. Their only son, Allen was born October 24, 1870, and died October 20, 1872. After returning from the army Mr. Archbold learned the trade of a plasterer, which he followed for fifteen years, and during this time made his home in Decatur until 1875. In that year he removed to his farm in St. Mary's Township, where he has since resided, where he has eighty acres of choice land, most of which is under fine cultivation, with a comfortable home and good farm buildings. Mr. Archbold is a son of John and Elizabeth (Gibson) Archbold, his father being a native of Harrison County, Ohio, born in February, 1809, and his mother born in Virginia, in 1808. Eleven children were born to them, all of whom yet survive, James M. being the seventh child. The father learned the shoemaker's trade, but never followed it, being engaged in agricultural pursuits the greater part of his life. He died December 25, 1885. His widow still survives, and is making her home in Decatur, Adams County, Indiana. Patrick and Francina (McLain) Archbold, the grandparents of our subject, were born in the State of Pennsylvania, and were of Irish descent. Both died in Jefferson Township, Wells County, Indiana, the grandfather in the year 1856. He was with General Wayne when he came to Fort Wayne. Thomas Archbold, the great-grandfather of our subject, came from Ireland about the time of the Revolutionary war. He took part in that memorable struggle, and was wounded at the battle of Brandywine.
Biographical and Historical Record of Adams County, Indiana; The Lewis Publishing Company, 1887