Emanuel Fleck is a native of Tuscarawas County, Ohio, and in his twenty-second year, in 1855, came to La Porte, Ind., and learned the carpenter's trade. In November, 1856, he returned to Ohio, with $152, and purchased carpenter's tools. February 19, 1857, he married Miss Savillah Fisher, came to Indiana March 27, 1865, and bought a farm in Clay Township, on which was an old water-power saw mill. He used this mill until October, 1866, when he built a new one on the same site. In 1870, he built a grist-mill, but the water proving insufficient, he put in an engine in 1871, and built a new circular saw-mill. He is the owner of the "Model Mills," known as Fleck's Mill, with a saw-mill containing planing, joining and edging machines. He also owns the right of a patent hay-rack for Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin and all territory west of the Mississippi River, and is one of the inventors of a patent buggy-top attachment. His farm is well improved, and a new frame residence has just been completed. He introduced the cultivation of German prunes in the county, and is the inventor of a fruit-tree protector. The spring of 1867, he was elected Justice of the Peace, and held the office eight years; served as Trustee, and was re-elected in 1878. The following children were born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio; Henrietta, born April 30, 1858, died March, 1880; Laura Ann, May 28, 1859; George Washington, August 4, 1860; Amanda Jane, October 7, 1861; Oliver Leander, June 7, 1863; and Israella, November 16, 1864; those born in La Grange County -Samuel Peter, December 20, 1866; Curtis Wise, September 21, 1869; Burt, January 16, 1872; Helen Izora, July 3, 1875; Harry B., January 29, 1877; Rollen, December 27, 1879, and an infant daughter, who died February 21, 1874.
History of La Grange County, Indiana; F.A. Battey & Co., 1882