Alvin Jerome Hostetler, a resident of Dover, Tuscarawas County, is a veteran school man, his experience covering all phases of work as teacher and school administration. He is now head of the County Normal School.
He was born on a farm in Tuscarawas County, January 23, 1879, son of Rudolph and Lucinda (Dietz) Hostetler. His parents were born in Tuscarawas County. His grandparents were Daniel and Mary Hostetler, the former a native of Pennsylvania and of Swiss lineage. Lucinda Dietz was a daughter of Abraham and Elizabeth (Levengood) Dietz, the former a native of Pennsylvania, of German lineage. Rudolph Hostetler spent a long and active life as a farmer in Tuscarawas County, and died at the age of seventy-five. His widow is still living. They had six children, two sons and four daughters.
Alvin Jerome Hostetler lived on a farm through his youth and early manhood, was educated in country schools, and was only seventeen when he began teaching. His knowledge of methods was perfected in the summer normal schools, and in the intervals of teaching he attended the Ohio Northern University at Ada, where in 1908 he was graduated with the Bachelor of Science degree. Up to 1908, for a total of nine years, he taught in rural schools. After that he was a teacher in the high schools at McComb, Hicksville and Bluffton, Ohio, until 1917, when he returned to Tuscarawas County as a district supervisor of schools. That post he held five years, and since 1922 has been director of the Tuscarawas County Normal School at New Philadelphia, where many of the teachers of the county receive their training. He is a member of the County, Eastern Ohio and the Ohio State Teachers' associations.
Mr. Hostetler is a member of the Lutheran Church and is a democrat in politics. He married in 1909 Miss Clara Stewart, who was born in Hancock County, Ohio. She has to her credit a teaching record of about fifteen years. The two children of their marriage are Marion Stewart and Carma Coy Hostetler.
History of Ohio, The American Historical Society, Inc., 1925, Volume V