George C. Wilson, a native of the sate of Ohio, and now among the very prominent farmer of Union township, Van Wert County, was born in Ross County in 1835, a son of John and Rebecca Wilson, natives of Virginia. James Wilson, grandfather of our subject, was a soldier in the Revolutionary War, in Washington's Army, and was severely wounded. He lived on a plantation in old Virginia until 1800 when he came to Ross County, Ohio, making the trip in wagons in midwinter, spending six weeks on the road and arriving on Christmas day. Here he bought a piece of land, cleared it and raised a respected family, and died about 1838, in Cincinnati, at the home of a son, with whom he had spent the declining years of his life.

John Wilson, son of the James and father of our subject, George C. was born in Greenbrier County, Va. about 1794, and was six years old when brought to Ross County, Ohio. Here he was reared on his father's farm, and was identified with the agriculture of the county all his life. In 1815 he was united in marriage with Rebecca Hicks? Scheckley, daughter of Richard and Nancy (King) Hicks? Scheckley. This lady was born in Virginia in 1791, and was brought by her parents to Ross County, Ohio in 1799, and here reared, surrounded by Indians and wild animals. She bore her husband twelve children, seven of whom lived to maturity, James, deceased; Mary deceased wife of George Wilson; Caroline, wife of Samuel Blake, of Ross County; Richard, deceased; Quintilda, deceased wife of Henry C. Roten, of Ross County; Hester A. and George C. our subject. Mrs. Rebecca Wilson died in Ross County in 1867. Her husband, John Wilson, was an aggressive democrat in his politics and was frequently selected by his party to fill county offices; He was not a member of any religious organization, but was liberally generous in his support to both churches and schools, and was altogether a public spirited, progressive and useful citizen. His lamented death took place in 1871.

George C. Wilson, the gentleman whose name opens this biographical notice, was reared to the noble vocation of farming on his father's homestead, and his education was acquired in the common schools of his native county. In 1865 he purchased a farm of seventy acres in Ross County, but this land he later sold and went to Hardin County, where he purchased and resided upon another farm for one year; selling this property, he removed to Washington, Fayette County, and thence, shortly afterward, to Clinton County, where he again purchased a farm, on which he made his home for six years; then sold, and purchased a farm in Washington Township, Van Wert County, but this farm he soon traded for a tile factory at Middlepoint, and in 1891 sold his factory and purchased a farm in Union Township, Van Wert County, but later sold and purchased his present farm.

The marriage of Mr. Wilson took place in 1855 to Eliza Wood, who was born in Ross County, Ohio, in 1832 a daughter of Benjamin and Jane (Winset) Wood, natives of Maryland. To the union of Mr. and Mrs. Wilson have been born three children: Dr. Richard S., of Scott: Dr John B., also of Scott, and William, deceased. Mrs. Wilson is a member of the United Brethren Church, and Mr. Wilson, although not identified with any denomination, is not backward in pecuniary aid to all; in politics he is a stanch democrat, but is not an office seeker, and devotes his attention to his own affairs and to the prosperity of the community in which he lives.

 

 

A Portrait and Biographical Record of Mercer & Van Wert Counties, 1896