Nicholas B. Huart, of the firm of Huart & Welch, proprietors of the gristmill at New Corydon, was born in the kingdom of Belgium, May 23, 1830, where he lived until he came to America with his mother, two brothers and one sister, the father having died in Belgium in 1853, aged fifty-five years. The mother died in Seneca County, Ohio, in 1872, aged fifty-four years. The brothers, Peter and John, died in Williams County, Ohio, the former in 1884, aged forty four years, and the latter in 1876, aged twenty-one years. The family located at New Biegel, Seneca County, Ohio, living on a farm seven years. During this time our subject taught parochial and district schools. After teaching twenty-four years he engaged in farming in Wyandotte County, same State, and later removed to this county, where he followed farming four years. He then sold his farm and purchased his mill. He was married April 13, 1831, to Miss Veronica Fleck, who was born in Baden, Germany, October 8, 1848, and came to America with her parents and six other children in 1851, locating in Wyandot County, Ohio, where the parents lived until their decease. The father was accidentally killed by the falling limb of a tree, and died two days after the accident occurred. He died in 1875, aged fifty-nine years. The mother died in 1882, also aged fifty-nine years. Mr. and Mrs. Huart have eight children -William, Frank, Mary C., Veronica, Leonora E., Anna, Louis N. and Rosy. In politics Mr. Huart is a Democrat and religiously he is a member of the Catholic church. The mill now owned by Huart & Welch was built by Mr. McMackin about thirty-five years ago as a water-mill. August Mackboush purchased the mill and put in steam power for a few years, and it was operated both as a water and steam-mill. Mr. Remarklus then bought the mill and owned it about eleven years. During this time his brother-in-law, Philip Welch, became a partner, and February 5, 1887, Mr. Huart purchased the interest of Mr. Remarklus. They are doing a large and successful business.
Biographical and Historical Record of Jay and Blackford Counties, Indiana; The Lewis Publishing Co., 1887