George W. James, one of five children in the family of William and Rebecca (Hodges) James, was born in Tymochtee Township, Wyandot County, Ohio, in October, 1824. His parents were natives of Pennsylvania, were married in Wyandot County, and died in Ottawa County, Ohio, where they had previously moved and cleared a farm. The subject was the eldest son, and after the death of his mother went to live with his uncle William Hodges, at the age eight years, and came with him to this county in 1835, but after three years was compelled to return to Ohio in search of health. After six years he came again to this State, and worked by the month, making his home with his uncle until he was married, April 20, 1851, to Rachael Carpenter, daughter of William Carpenter, born July 23, 1827. He had previously purchased forty acres of his present farm, and now owns 290 acres, finely cultivated, and with other property is worth about $22,000. The proceeds of his farm for 1879 were $1,700, for the year following $1,800, and $1,200 for 1881. Besides his extended farm practice, Mr. James raises considerable live-stock. He was an active worker among the Regulators, and was a follower of the Whig party during the time of its existence. Mr. James was among the first comers to the county, and has served several terms as Pathmaster. Mr. and Mrs. James are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and have had four children, William A. (deceased), Mary L (now Mrs. Ira Helmer), Isaac W. and Rebecca (deceased).
History of La Grange County, Indiana, F.A. Battey & Co., 1882