As a general contractor Mr. Davies has built up a substantial and prosperous enterprise, and is numbered among the progressive and energetic business men of his native county, his residence and executive headquarters being maintained in the City of Ironton. the judicial center of the county, where his circle of friends is limited only by that of his acquaintances.
Mr. Davies was born at Pine Grove, Elizabeth Township, Lawrence County, Ohio, on the 10th of July, 1875, and is a son of George H. and Rachel (Brammer) Davies, the former of whom was born in England, in 1850, and the latter of whom was born in Lawrence County, Ohio, in 1854, the father, Elijah Brammer, having been one of the sterling pioneers of this county. George H. Davies was reared and educated in his native land, whence he came to the United States in the year 1873, making Ironton, Ohio, his destination and here finding employment in the capacity of bookkeeper. Later he was chosen city clerk, and of this office he continued the efficient and valued incumbent for sixteen consecutive years. In England he had held the position of railway station agent and he developed fine ability as an accountant and executive. For a time he held the post of timekeeper for the mines at Pine Grove, Lawrence County, and he now resides in Ironton, his cherished and devoted wife having passed to the life eternal in 1909. Of the seven children, Fred B., of this review, is the eldest; George L. is deceased; Minnie B. remains at the paternal home; Margaret E. married M. D. Henry and resides in Galesburg, Illinois; and Henry, Bessie and May died in infancy. The public schools of Ironton afforded Fred B. Davies his early educational advantages, and he continued his scholastic discipline until he had attained to the age of seventeen years, when he entered upon an apprenticeship to the trade of kegmaker, in the works of the Belfort Iron Company, in the employ of which corporation he continued until 1892. Thereafter he was clerk in a dry-goods store in Ironton until 1898, when he subordinated all other interests to serve in the Spanish-American war. He served eight months as hospital steward in the hospital of the First Division of the Second Army Corps, at Camp Alger, near Washington, D. C, and after receiving his honorable discharge at Camp Meade, Pennsylvania, he resumed his clerical position in Ironton, where he continued to be thus engaged until 1890. He then went to Birmingham, Alabama, in which city he assumed the post of engineer for the Tennessee Iron & Coal Company, but eight months later, on account of the death of his brother, George L., he returned to Ironton. For two years thereafter he was a conductor on the street-railway lines of this city, and he was then appointed assistant to J. R. C. Brown, the chief engineer of the City of Ironton, Ohio. He retained this position eight years and then, in 1910, engaged in general contracting, to which lie has since given his close attention and in connection with which his success has been unequivocal. In November, 1912, he was elected to the office of county surveyor of Lawrence County for a period of two years, beginning September 1, 1913, and in the August primary of 1914 was nominated for a second term without opposition.
Mr. Davies accords unwavering allegiance to the republican party, is affiliated with the lodge and encampment of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, as well as with the local lodge of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and both he and his wife are members of the First Baptist Church. Mr. Davies is a man of fine physique, and this fact has inured to his preferment as drum major of the U. S. W. V. Band, of Ironton. He is a member of the Ironton Chamber of Commerce, is a loyal and appreciative citizen of Ironton, and is progressive and publicspirited.
On the 2d of July, 1901, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Davies to Miss Enola Bradley, of Catlettsburg, Kentucky, and they have three children—Georgia A., Enola B., and F. Herbert.
From "A Standing History of the Hanging Rock Iron Region of Ohio" by Eugene B. Willard, Daniel W. Williams, George O. Newman and Charles B. Taylor. Published by Lewis Publishing Company, 1916