John M. Urick
Of the merchants who have assisted in sustaining the business integrity of Ironton, more than passing mention is due John M. Urick, a member of an old and well-known family of the Hanging Rock Region, who for fifteen years has been the proprietor of a grocery store here. This business has enjoyed a consistent and pleasing growth, and reflects the untiring zeal, energy and perseverance of the man who. from a small beginning, has advanced its fortunes to the prominence of a necessary commercial adjunct.
Mr. Urick was born at Ironton, Lawrence County, Ohio, April 25, 1865, and is a son of James B. and Hannah (Goddard) Urick. His father was born in Botetourt County, Virginia, in 1823, and was brought to Lawrence County when a mere lad, here growing up amid agricultural surroundings and early adopting the vocations of gardener and farmer, in which he continued to be engaged throughout his active years. An industrious and hard-working man. he rounded out a long and useful life in 1888, when he passed away at the age of sixty-five years. Hannah iGoddard) Urick was born in Pennsylvania in 1827, came to Ohio in girlhood, and here died May 11, 1911. She was the mother of ten children, as follows: Thomas C., Emily F., Lydia, James A., Rosie, Mary, Luella, Sarah, John M., William and Lily, of whom Lydia, James A. and John M. are the survivors.
John M. Urick received only ordinary educational advantages in his youth, for when he was a student in the Seventh grade he laid aside his books to assist his father in his gardening operations. Following this was employed in a brick yard for three years, and then received his introduction to the grocery business as driver of the delivery wagon for W. H. Lynd, an Ironton grocer. After six months, his industry and faithfulness won him promotion to the position of inside clerk, in which capacity he was employed for fifteen years, during which time he familiarized himself thoroughly with every detail of the business. Mr. Urick entered the business field on his own account June 19, 1899, when he opened an establishment at Seventh and Monroe streets, a property which he still owns and in which he has continued to carry on a large and constantly increasing business. He has added frequently to his stock and by his diligent attention to the requirements of the public, his careful and intelligent buying, his courteous treatment of customers and his prompt and honest dealings, he has established a trade which is not surpassed, either in quantity or quality, by any similar patronage in Ironton. Mr. Urick is the owner of his own residence at No. 205 South Seventh Street and several other residence properties, and is a director of the Star Building and Loan Association. As a side line he raises White Leghorn chickens, poultry of a superior quality, and at this time has a flock of about 300 hens. Mrs. Urick, who is also possessed of good business ability, raises dahlias for the market and receives a goodly return for her labors. They are members of Emanuel Methodist Church. Mr. Urick is a member of the Ironton Chamber of Commerce and has shown his interest in educational affairs by serving three years as a member of the school board. He is a republican in his political views, and his fraternal connection is with the Knights of Pythias.
Mr. Urick was married January 6, 1896 to Miss Emma Nance, daughter of William Nance, a retired farmer of Lawrence County. Eight children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Urick, namely: Hannah, Rachel, Mathilda, Carrie, Frank, Nellie, Margaret and Paul.
From "A Standing History of the Hanging Rock Iron Region of Ohio" by Eugene B. Willard, Daniel W. Williams, George O. Newman and Charles B. Taylor. Published by Lewis Publishing Company, 1916