James Dwyer, merchant, London, was born in the town of Cahir, County Tipperary, Ireland, October 25, 1834. His parents were William and Johanna (Roach) Dwyer, living in Ireland till their death. The former died in 1870, and the later when our subject was but ten years old. He grew up in Ireland, and, when but sixteen years of age came to America. He had previously worked some at tailoring and located in Philadelphia where he remained two years and finished his trade. He then cam to Xenia, Ohio, and remained there till 1856, when he located in Springfield, Clark County. He was working at his trade there for about three years and then lived in Vienna, same county, one year. After six months residence again in Springfield in April, 1860, he came to London. He immediately opened a shop and by perseverance and energy, succeeded in building up a fine trade and gradually worked himself into general merchandising. He erected a portion of his present building in 1870 and finished it in 1879. It is a two-story brick, containing four rooms with sizes follows: 22x80, 17x65, 16x45 and 16x25. The building was erected at a cost of $10,000 to $12,000, and the larger portion of it is filled with a general stock, embracing dry goods, boots, shoes and clothing . Mr. Dwyer enjoys a very good trade and has been fairly successful during his business life. He is one of the more prominent members of the Catholic Church at London. and is Democratic in state and national politics but in local affairs voting for the man who will best subserve the interests of the people. He was married while residing at Xenia, December 30, 1856, by the Rev. Thomas Blake, to Margaret Anderson, also a native of Ireland. Of their ten children, eight are living -- Johanna, wife of Thomas Maddigan an assistant in the Central Ohio Insane Asylum at Columbus; Will, traveling salesman with R. W. Linen, of Columbus; John, Edmund, Walter, Joseph, Emmet and Robert. Mary and Edward are deceased. Mrs. Dwyer and family are also members of the Catholic Church.
From HISTORY OF MADISON COUNTY - W. H. Beers [Chicago, 1883]