Isaac N. Abernathy
Judge Isaac N. Abernethy, A.B., A.M., Judge of the Court of Common Pleas of the Third Subdivision of the Fifth Judicial District, embracing Franklin. Pickaway and Madison Counties, resides in Circleville. He is a native of Ohio, born near Chillicothe, Ross County, August 9, 1844. His grandfather, William Abernethy, was born in Virginia. He belonged to the F. F. V.'s and was of English descent. He came with his family to Ohio and died in Ross County. James Abernethy, father of our subject, came with his parents to this State. He married Rhoda Connor, also a native of Virginia. In 1848, he came to Pickaway County and rented a farm near Darbyville. At the time of his death, which occurred in 1890, at the age of eighty years, he owned two hundred and fifty-eight acres of valuable land. He was a prominent member of the Methodist Church and served as Class-leader. In politics, he was a Democrat. His wife died in 1856.
Our subject was the third in a family of four children, all of whom reside in Pickaway County. His first recollections are of Darbyville. His early education was acquired in a log schoolhouse, but he made the most of his opportunities and at the age of sixteen secured a teacher's certificate. He afterward engaged in teaching, then started to college. In order to pay his tuition, he engaged in teaching and in raising water melons. In the year 1860, he entered the Ohio Wesleyan University from which he was graduated in June, 1866, with the degree of A. B., and subsequently the degree of A. M. was conferred upon him. Wishing to make the practice of law his life work, he began studying with Alfred Yaple, now ex-Judge of Cincinnati. He afterward studied with Hon. R. A. Harrison, one of the leading attorneys of the State, now of Columbas, and was admitted to the Ohio Bar at Chillicothe, September 1, 1868. For three years he was Principal of the schools in Mt. Sterling.
On the 8th of September, 1868, Judge Abernethy was married in Mt. Sterling to Miss Lizzie Busick, a native of that place, and a daughter of Ira Busick, who was then a merchant of Mt. Sterling. Unto them have been born six children: Ira, Charles, Harry, Rhoda, Bernard and Minnie.
The year succeeding his marriage, Mr. Abernethy located in Circleville and for a year engaged in practice as a partner of Mr. Hayes. In 1872, he was elected Prosecuting Attorney, and served from January, 1873, until January, 1877, The firm of Abernethy & Grigsby was then formed and continued business for two years. In 1878, our subject formed a partnership with H. F. Page for six years, when the firm of Page, Abernethy & Folsom was formed, Mr. Folsom being a nephew of Mr. Page. In 1887, Mr. Page retired. In February, 1890, having been elected Judge of the Common Pleas Court on the Democratic ticket for a five-years' term, Mr, Abernethy entered upon the duties of that ollice. His rulings are wise and he has well demonstrated the fact that he is ably fitted for the office.
The Judge served as a member of the County Board of School Examiners for four years and was its Secretary for two years, when he resigned. He was twice a member of the City Council from the First Ward and was for some years a member of the City Board of Education. Socially, he is a Knight Templar Mason, and his wife belongs to the Methodist Church. Judge Abernethy owns a fine farm of one hundred and forty-three acres in Monroe Township, in addition to the residence on North Court Street and other real estate, and laid out Abernethy 's First and Second Additions to Ciicleville, comprising over thirty lots. He is a stockholder and Director in the Masonic Temple Association and is a stockholder in the Circleville Opera House Company. His life work in many respects is well worthy of emulation. He started in life a poor boy and by his own efforts has worked his way upwards to the proud position he now occupies. The Judge has been a lecturer in the law department of the Ohio State University for the last year on the subjects of mortgages and liens
From PORTRAIT & BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD OF FAYETTE, PICKAWAY AND MADISON COUNTIES, OHIO - Chapman Bros. [Chicago, 1892]