George S. Reichelderfer
The village of Tarlton contains a large number of attractive residences, and among them there is, perhaps, none more elegant or perfect in every detail than the home of Mr. Reichelderfer, which is a frame building, modern in its style of architecture and neat in its interior furnishings. Besides this residence, he owns two hundred and thirty acres of well-improved land in Salt Creek Township, and is numbered among the prosperous citizens of Pickaway County.
The father of our subject, Venus Reichelderfer, was born in Berks County, Pa., in 1823, and accompanied his parents, Jacob and Rebecca Reichelderfer, to Ohio when he was quite small, settling with them in Salt Creek Township, the grandfather residing here until his death, June 25, 1875, at the age of eighty-two years. Venus R. here grew up, and engaged in farming, which occupation he followed until his decease, September 19, 1856. He was the father of two children, our subject and Sarah Jane, who married Stephen D. Crites, and died July 19, 1873.
The maternal grandfather of our Subject, John Mowry, emigrated from Berks County, Pa., where he was born August 1, 1805, to Ohio, when he was a lad of five years, and made his home in Pickaway County until his death. His daughter, Leannah, first became the wife of Venus Reichelderfer, and after his decease was united to Elias Crites, her home being at present in the Buckeye State. The birthplace of our subject was in Salt Creek Township, and the date thereof April 18, 1850. He was the recipient of splendid educational advantages, of which he availed himself to the utmost, and, after completing his commonschool studies, entered Ohio Wesleyan University, at Delaware, in 1868, remaining there for two years, diligently engaged in the acquirement of knowledge. He completed his commercial course in Eastman's Business College, at Poughkeepsie, N. Y., after which he embarked in business.
The first occupation of Mr. Reichelderfer was as an employe in a railroad office at Stoutsville for a short time, and afterwards he was with the Eureka Planing Mill Company, at Laurelville, in the capacity of book-keeper for a while. Subsequently, he located at Tarlton, and has since followed the profession of a teacher, having taught fifteen terms of school during the winter seasons, and in the summer engaging in various occupations. He has an enviable reputation as a thorough instructor and efficient disciplinarian, who gains the affection and confidence of his pupils to an unusual extent, and secures their advancement in tlieir studies through creating a love for knowledge and an enjoyment of mental research.
In 1873, the marriage of Mr. Reichelderfer to Miss Lucy A. Housel, of Pickaway County, took place at the residence of the bride's parents, John A. and Catherine (Alexander) Housel. The parents of Mrs. Reichelderfer were born in Northumberland and Columbia Counties, Pa., respectively, whence they moved to Oiiio at an early day and were married in Pickaway County. During the past forty years he has been engaged in the grocery business, and is a reliable dealer, an enterprising citizen, and an upright man. His wife belongs to the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and he aids with liberal contributions the various benevolent and religious enterprises, in which he is greatly interested.
In her childhood, Mrs. Reichelderfer received a thorough education in the schools at Tarlton and the Normal at Lancaster, and was a teacher in Fairfield County for nine years. She is the mother of one child, John Jacob, born January 24, 1874, and an intelligent young man, to whose education his parents have devoted constant attention. Mrs. Reichelderfer clings to the faith of her parents, and is a devoted member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, while the belief of Mr. Reichelderfer is that of the Lutheran Church, with which he is identified. In politics, he is a stanch Democrat, and is well informed on all the prominent issues of the day which engage the attention of thoughtful men.
From PORTRAIT & BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD OF FAYETTE, PICKAWAY AND MADISON COUNTIES, OHIO - Chapman Bros. [Chicago, 1892]